Friday, October 3, 2008

Galatians 1:24

On Wednesday nights we've been studying Paul's letter to the Galatians. In the last three weeks we've made it through the first chapter (go Trent!) because it is so packed full of what can be summarized as really important "stuff". Really Important. I'll even capitalize Stuff.

Anyway, a few weeks ago we finished chapter one and the very last verse is what sticks in my mind the most about chapter one. Galatians 1:24: "And they praised God because of me." In the context, Paul is talking about how he didn't receive the Gospel that he was preaching from his background as a Jew, from the Apostles or from hanging around Jerusalem and being exposed to it by the church there; he is defending the fact that he received his knowledge through revelation. So even though he didn't learn the Gospel from the Apostles, they extend their hand in fellowship to him because he is teaching the same Gospel (2:9.) Even though he hadn't yet traveled to Jerusalem to see the churches there, they had heard of his complete turnaround from being the most zealous Jew, one who was prosecuting the church every chance he got to one who was just as dedicated to the cause of Christ and spreading the Word to the Gentiles in Arabia and Damascus. They heard of the words he was teaching and the devotion he had to his calling "and they praised God because of me."

So my question to you is: do people praise God because of you? Do people see your actions and praise God? Do they hear the words that come out of your mouth and praise God? I know there are many times when I question if people around me even notice that I'm different. Do I let my light "shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven?" (Matthew 5:16) What do I do that leads people to praise God because of me? Do I even do anything? Just some thoughts that have been tumbling through my mind all night… I hope they help you!

"And they praised God because of me"

No comments: