Saturday, April 6, 2013

Kitchen Re-Organize!

A few weeks ago I read this post about organizing your kitchen into zones - it saves time when you're cooking, keeps things you use together in the same area, and just kinda makes sense!

So today, much to the dismay of the rest of my family who are just figuring out where things go, I re-organized my kitchen. Not that it needed it - the spices were by the stove, the pans were close at hand, the dishes were all together - but when I put everything away the first time it was based on what fit where, not what I used where.

Unfortunately, as usual, I didn't take good before pictures - so you get to see the halfway point pictures and then the final after pictures.

So it really all started because I wanted to move my Tea Maker and Blender out of the corner of the counter so I could actually use them. And once I got them moved, it just made sense to move the coffee pot over to join them. If I was going to have all the drink machines here, how about the supplies and cups? But that meant I had to move my dishes out of that cabinet.


So the dishes got moved. They joined the cabinet with some miscellaneous things that get used often enough to not be stored away, but not often enough to get prime shelf status. And the candy bowl. And the medicine basket. I also had to put the extra pitchers and travel mugs here; again, they get used - but not that often!


That left my KitchenAid mixer all alone in the corner of my biggest counter area. And since I've always wanted more counter space so I could actually use it for cooking, not storing things, it got moved to the other small counter piece to form the baking zone. I also moved all of the baking supplies into the cabinet above, and the utensils into the drawer below.


That's the only true "before" picture because that's about when I thought about it! Since I moved all the baking stuff in here, the spices had to move out. So they went across the stove to the food storage cabinet - and some of the mixing bowls and measuring cups came out of there to make room for all of the spices.
And now I've got all this clear counter space for USING! 
It will take all of us a bit of time to get used to finding everything again, but I think it will be much better to have things this way. 

No comments: