Friday, July 8, 2011

Lessons I'm Learning

I think I completely proved the points I was making in my last two posts: my "every day" things haven't happened in about 2 months because very little has been consistent in my day to day schedule; I still like the work I do, but not my job and people still annoy me - and yes, I put those two things together for a reason. Because of those things (and probably others too...) my packing schedule did not happen. Looking at that makes me laugh for two reasons: 1) that I thought I'd be able to follow it - really??? and 2) that it upsets me that I didn't follow it after I put the time into thinking it all out and planning it.

Sigh.

So here I am...3 months later...

I have thoroughly enjoyed the last month and half of living with the Kennedy's and have learned SO many (mostly) valuable things. Since they don't all apply to my life right now, I figured I should write them down!

1) Coupons. The show "Extreme Couponing" drives me insane. I am not opposed to coupons. If I find one for something I know I will buy anyway, I'll use it. But seeking out coupons for something I don't normally purchase just so I can get for 99% off - nope. And don't get me started on the stockpiles! So I recently found a website that I can get really good coupons off of for stores that I go to already, for things that I buy already. And my obsessive personality quickly took over and now I completely understand how / why those people are the way they are. Lesson: moderation. use it effectively. don't obsess.

2) Children. I liked having a roommate...mostly. I loved living alone. I got completely adjusted to my apartment staying clean, being able to leave things out if I wanted, not having to deal with people when I get home, having my own place. Loved it. Now I have 2 roommates...and a 9 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. I love them all and it has been great getting some early parenting skills! Here are the big ones:
Consistency - if you tell them they'll get in trouble with something they need to get in trouble when they do it. Every time.
Follow through - similar to above. Don't just say don't do that or... You have to follow through or they'll keep pushing the boundaries.
Family - they have to know, respect and enforce your rules too.
Fun time / serious time - I'm amazed at how much Ella understands at 2 1/2! One of the biggest things is the difference between play time and serious time. She knows not to play at the table, that she has to be quiet during worship services, that when she's talking about the Bible with Daddy every night it's not silly time. Of course she has her moments, but hey - who doesn't?
Bible Time - I think I appreciate this time every night more than anything else. We never had family devotionals or time set aside to focus on God. This is a very special time and I am so thankful the Kennedy's let me be part of it. There is nothing more precious than having Ella look at you and say "Let's talk about Jesus" or the other night when she told her dad "I need to tell Ruby about Noah".

3) Take advantage of nap time! I used to laugh at my cousin when she would say she didn't have time to get anything done anymore. There are the same number of hours in the day now as there were before. HA! There are a million and a half more things to do with a toddler and a baby in the house! There are always toys to pick up, dishes to wash, bottles to fix, laundry to do, things to keep out of reach, etc. I would love to be a stay at home mom and get to spend time with my children all day, but there has to be a time to get stuff done - when, I have NO idea! Nap time and after bed time - means I have to become more of a night person; squeezing loads of laundry and dishes in between everything else; shower time has to decrease A LOT; I think the biggest thing I've learned is not to let it pile up because it takes so much more energy to catch up than to keep up!

4) Record the precious moments. Lisa does a great job of taking pictures and documenting something from each day - there are too many moments and they change so fast! Little sayings, favorite stories, goofy faces - there never seems to be a moment not worth capturing in some way!

I think that's it for now...but I'm sure more will come later!

Thanks for letting me learn from you guys :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this! :)

I'm so thankful that my children have you in their lives! Hopefully they don't drive you too crazy on a day-to-day basis :)

rubymmoore said...

LOL - they're a good relief from the other people I spend my day with :)