Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July Meals

Over the last 3 or 4 months, I started planning a month's worth of meals at a time...not that I make everything the way that I planned it on the day that I planned it, because life happens, but at least it gives me a plan.

Biggest bonuses to planning a month at a time:

1) I can get a HUGE shopping trip done at the beginning of the month when we still have money in the account, then stock up each week on fresh fruits and veggies, instead of getting to the end of the month and realizing we'll be eating ramen noodles for 4 days.

2) I can make double batches and freeze them - King Ranch Chicken, Taco Soup and Crockpot Chili are some of our family favorites, and they're super easy to double up and freeze.

3) I like planning and having the peace of mind that there is a plan in place...even if it gets altered.

But rather than post a month's worth of meal planning, I'm going to select our favorite 7-10 meals from the month to share...hopefully there will be some variance from month to month, considering we do a lot of favorites on repeat :)

So for July I've only got five because the girls are mostly gone, and I got a little lazy in my meal planning... sorry Caleb :) The first week we were recovering from being gone and me being sick, the last week I won't be in town so it will be a lot of reheating for Caleb - so that really only leaves me with about 2 1/2 weeks to choose from -

1) Leftover BBQ meat - leftovers as a favorite? Um yes - Caleb and I went to visit my family for my granddad's birthday and my dad cooked ribs, pork, steak, chicken, sausage, and a TON of other meats and we got to bring some home. So yes - leftovers as a favorite.

2) King Ranch Chicken - I was really surprised that the girls like this as much as they did, and since they've been asking for it for awhile now, I made it the other night for their first meal back with us.

3) Chalupas - another quick and easy that usually find it's way onto the menu two or three times a month.  We keep them simple: meat, beans and cheese. I usually add sour cream and salsa to mine, but I'm the only one.

4) Chicken Fried Steak - I tried to do at least one more complicated, home cooked meal each week. Mashed potatoes and gravy. Fluffy biscuits. Yum.

5) BBQ Chicken - when you've got a bottle of Rudy's sauce, you gotta use it!

Next month will be much more interesting and I'll figure out a way to actually share the recipes :)

No comments: