Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Being a "Collector"

I am a collector. I like to keep things. I have a lot of stuff. I'm not like disgustingly obsessed with saving every little thing to the point that it takes over my house like on Hoarders. And I'm not really a pack rat that saves insignificant things for fear of throwing away the item that I might need tomorrow. I just like having stuff (enter into evidence: photos). I have a largish book collection (but I actually read them). I have a larger movie collection (that I mostly watch most of). Don't get me started on pictures.

This has become a problem as of late because I'm moving in with three other people who also like stuff. Lots of stuff. So we're all de-cluttering - and that's become quite a process. But I'm determined to move into our new house and leave the clutter behind. I know some of it is about organizing, creating a system for rotating stuff, and having a storage plan for seasonal stuff; but the other part of it is just getting rid of stuff that we don't need.

So lately I've become slightly obsessed with reading blog posts on de-cluttering and what to get rid of when you move and how to start fresh with new plans and new systems and how to stay on top of things so they don't get out of hand and I thought I'd share a few today:

1) You Probably Have Too Much Stuff. The title kinda says it all, but it talks about the consequences of having too much stuff and what it costs (mentally, emotionally, physically) to maintain the dream of having a huge house full of stuff that most of us dream about when we are kids.

2) Fridge and Pantry Organization: I've learned over the last several years that it's much easier to cook when you have everything on hand. But that's also one area that I might possibly, sometimes have a habit of overstocking. There are some great tips in this one about keeping up with produce and extending the use you can get out of your fresh foods, as well as keeping it all organized so it's easier to see what you're low on.

3) New Ways to Get Organized: I really like some of the products highlighted in this post, as well as some of the ideas for kitchen storage and fridge organization.

4) Over Door Storage: Maybe this is just a way to not get rid of some stuff, but looking for areas that are not used at all for storage just makes sense!

5) Love the Weekly Household Quick Tip on The Confident Mom blog!

6) And then of course, thank you Pinterest! What I like most about Pinterest is that I can see a really great idea and don't have to remember where I saw it in three months when I actually want to use it!

(I found #1-4, at a blog I've recently added to my reading list I'm an Organizing Junkie)


No comments: