Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lessons in Professionalism

Things have been a bit rocky at work lately, but it has caused me to have to make sure that I am 100% on top of my game and have everything in order. Not that it wasn't all good to go before, but now I have more people checking to make sure.

We have a very casual office so one of my goals this year (we run Sept 1- Aug 31 for our year) is to increase my level of "professionalism" both in the way I dres, the way I handle certain situations, the way I respond to things, etc. I know that means that I will have a very sore tongue for the first few weeks (ok maybe months) as I learn to filter more of the things that I say, or at least the way that I say them, but hopefully I can get a few new, good habits formed over the course of this year.

One of those goals is to post something that I learned that day every day. Even if it's something small and insignificant to anyone else, I want to concentrate on the things that I am learning as a manager, a supervisor, a team member and an employee of a state agency aka cutting through red tape).

September 1: Don't wear heels two days in a row, especially if you are doing a lot of walking and especially if your feet aren't used to it. My feet definitely aren't used to it.

No comments: