Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Being a SAHM - March 19

Whew! What a whirlwind the last few days have been! Even though I've only been a stay-at-home-mom for less than 60 hours I've learned some very important things...and I have no doubt there will be more coming!

1) It's ok to cry. Especially if the alarm on your baby's apnea monitor keeps going off which makes her even more upset so she cries louder and her heart rate gets higher and then plummets which sets it off again for dropping too quickly. It's even more ok to cry when that happens in an enclosed space (like a car) for 45 minutes and then continues while she tries to get comfortable and relaxed and settled in to a new environment. Just cry. It's even more ok than that to cry when Big Sisters find out she's home and shed a few tears with you.

2) This is the most important job I've ever had. I've always wanted to be a SAHM but couldn't ever see myself leaving behind work that I've been involved in for the last 14 years of my life. But it's only taken me two days to realize that this is where I need to be right now and that nothing else matters as much as making sure that Baby Girl gets the help and attention she needs to have a good foundation and an opportunity to overcome as much of this as she can. And who can resist a sleepy baby when she smiles up at your first thing in the morning?? Now, more than ever, I'm so glad C and I made this decision.

3) I've worked harder in the last 2 days than I ever did "at work"! Those of you who knew me at my previous job know what that statement means because that was some hard work and long hours - but WOW I am exhausted! I have a ton of SAHM friends and I know they stay busy all the time with their kiddos, and I've never been one of those people who would even dare ask "so what DO you do all day?" Or assume that staying home means watching tv and eating junk food on the couch while baby sleeps. But you can't fully appreciate the work that goes into being a SAHM (or Dad!) until you've been there. And I've only got one! Granted, Baby Girl isn't your average baby and comes with a few more to-dos than usual, but still - we're on a three hour routine that I just about get finished when it's time to start again. To all the SAHM (and Dads) with more than one, you have even more of my respect and admiration than you did previously!

4) Pajama pants are awesome. And it's ok to stay in them until noon. Or 1 or 2. Even if the home health nurse is coming... I'm sure they've seen it all.

5) Swaddle blankets and Sleep sacks. That's all I really need to say. The Swaddle Blankets we got at one of our showers are amazing. They're the kind with strong Velcro in about 9 different places so Hudini Baby Girl can't get her arms out. Now that's she's got more range of motion she's constantly moving them and as long as she's moving she won't go to sleep. No naps is no good. We got a few sleep sacks also and I think I will be investing in more so that I don't have to cut holes in the side seams of all of her pajamas to run tubes and wires through.

6) Just stay home. It's ok to not go anywhere. We had our first outing today to the pediatrician's office. Next time I'll need a motorized cart to go anywhere. My dad suggested getting a double stroller and now I'm seriously considering it. Going anywhere requires the oxygen tank. Going anywhere longer than 10 minutes adds the apnea monitor. Going anywhere longer than 3 hours or that crosses over a feeding time requires the pump, milk and bag. Milk requires ice packs. Ice packs require an insulated bag. Babies require diapers and wipes. Moms require wallets and keys. SO I had 4 bags plus the car seat and kid to juggle. The O2, monitor and pump each come with their specialized carrying bags so they don't get messed up, but nothing else fits in there with them. Believe me, I tried consolidating. I'm ok with becoming a recluse until we get rid of a few bags!

A few updates on Baby Girl from the pedi appt today:

- She is now 11 pounds .05 ounces (every bit counts) which puts her in the 25th percentile for weight.

- They can't get an accurate measurement for length because she won't stretch her legs out, but they were able to semi-measure her at 21 inches (5th percentile)

- Her head circumference is perfectly average now :)

- She has settled in just fine to being the center of attention here at home. In fact, I was instructed by Little Big to make sure I bring Baby Girl with me when I pick her up from school so she can see her immediately! Not that I have the choice to leave her at home by herself...

- Baby Girl still isn't crazy about the car seat, but once we get moving she calms down and is ok with it.

That's all for now :)

Oh yeah, except: SHE'S HOME!!!


3 comments:

BMoore...everyday said...

Annnnd she's home....sounds beautiful rolling off the tongue. ..so very proud of you & C for creating & maintaining the loving home Lexi Jo needs to grow & thrive in...no doubt your three girls are going to 'take over the world' ...someday... ♡

Unknown said...

Oh Ruby, you make me smile! You're doing great! Before you know it, you'll have your "new normal" down to an art! It was so good to see your whole family together at last! Love y'all!

SKJones said...

Sniff, sniff!! I'm so happy that y'all have her home at last!!! I'm confident that she will grow and thrive even more now! It sounds to me like you're handling all of the asjustments and changes perfectly! You continue to amaze me! Love and prayers!!