Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 1 Post-Op - April 8

Baby Girl does NOT like having her hands restrained. She was semi-awake when I got there this morning. She had a slightly elevated temperature, and higher heart rate overnight so they were monitoring her pretty closely to see if it was the beginnings of an infection (most likely from the central line they've had in her arm since last Tuesday) or if it was agitation from pain. The culture came back clear so they increased her sedative slightly and are keeping her on the morphine drip.

Other than being agitated about not getting to pull on things or suck on her hands, she was smiley and attentive and enjoying her visitors.

I spent some time with the RT who will be training me in how to care for her tracheostomy. Even though it was just an overview, it was very....overwhelming. Once the hands-on part of it starts, I'm sure it will become just as routine as the g-tube care, but until then it's a lot.

We've got six more days before that will become an issue though, so in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy seeing her face without a mess of tape and tubes, holding her hands down, and watching her eyes light up every time someone talks to her :)

It's not the best angle, but it's her :)

2 comments:

BMoore...everyday said...

Look at those precious cheeks! Thank you for sharing some of her sweet sugars with me this weekend...she is an angel. After watching her recovering the past rwo days & sitting in on the 'overview' of what your facing, I understand being overwhelmed .....truly understand. Thank you for sharing the adventure with us ♡

SKJones said...

Sweet Lexi Jo! Love seeing her sweet cheeks...especially without all the tubes covering it up! :) Thankful that the surgery went well and praying that she continues to heal as she should. I can't imagine having to deal with all of the things that have become your "normal" over the past few months. You are an incredible mama and Lexi Jo is so blessed to have you and Caleb there beside her every step of her journey! Love, hugs and prayers!