Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lots to learn - April 16

Got to the hospital this morning and they had replaced her feeding tube yesterday! It all operates the same, it's just more convenient than having a tube constantly in the way.

We got a new baby neighbor this morning so nosy girl had a lot to pay attention to as soon as she woke up! There were people and machines and noises everywhere!


I got to learn how to administer breathing treatments today. Dr. G is not anticipating her needing to go home with any breathing treatments (right now she's getting a dose if albuterol every 8 hours) but I still need to know how to hook up all the attachments for future reference.  I also learned how to use the breathing bag to administer breaths if needed. Tomorrow we'll be switching out some of her equipment for stuff that's more similar to what she'll be using at home so that I can learn how to be able to make adjustments as needed with the machines and monitors.

Child Life was able to bring her a mobile, now that she's back in a crib and she absolutely adores it (still) but has also discovered that she can make faces at that cute little girl in the mirror :)

Half-way through training week #1 - hopefully next week goes just as well. It's not a particularly difficult skill set to learn, but it's one that keeps you constantly on your toes! Again, I must have missed this chapter in "What to Expect" :)

2 comments:

BMoore...everyday said...

You're doing a fantastic job, with all that's been thrown at you. You're little family is absolutely priceless...the Love that y'all share with each other is quite contagious to those of us looking in. Thank you for sharing!

sharon said...

I admit that I am one of those looking in. One of the first things I read each day online is your blog, Ruby. I admire you tremendously for your love and tireless devotion to your family. You are an inspiration to us all. I love your beautiful family. These 3 little girls will definitely keep you on your toes. So wonderful to see Miss Lexi JoAnn with less equipment. We can see her beautiful little face and big beautiful eyes so much better. Much love, your cousins Sharon and Jerry.