Monday, November 14, 2011

Thirty Days: Afterthoughts

So I had several goals before I started the Thirty Days of Thoughtful Threads challenge - some I mentioned heresome here, and some I didn't mention out loud.

Here's how I measured up:

Initial Goals:

1) Closet Clean out: I've already bagged up two trash bags of clothes for Goodwill. Before I start putting all the clean clothes up, I need to make a decision on a few other things. Overall, it's been very eye opening to the amount of clothes I have that I don't wear.

2) Better Clothes Habits: this one is to be determined. I definitely decided it's much more fun to put some thought into my clothes, but being conscious of how I look is really time consuming. Maybe not really, but definitely in the mornings, when I value my time more. Maybe I'll work on forming a night before outfit selection. I would like to mention, I did not revert back to jeans and tshirt this morning - because I had a really cute sweater I wanted to wear :)

3) Blogging - I think there were only two days that I missed because of a ridiculous schedule that day, but I double posted the next day to make up for it. I've also got a couple of other topics going that I'll be continuing. AND a list of topics I still haven't finished (ok fine, two lists) - but I'm working on those!

4) Laundry...I think I already addressed that issue in this aftermath post.

Sub-Goals:

1) Eight pairs of slacks / dress pants and four skirts equals out to twelve non-jean outfits - or two per week. So  overall average, I met that goal - only wore jeans three days a week. On average.

2) I only had 2 jeans and t-shirt days (unless you count Day 10 - I haven't decided...)  AND they weren't because I woke up late and had to grab something. They were planned into the line-up based on un-planned days off to work on the Shed Project (updates coming this afternoon on the amount of work we got done this weekend!)

3) I did not wash pants. And I only re-wore three pair. Towards the end, when I ran out of options and it was too cold for skirts. In fact, the only laundry I did do during the last 6 weeks was for my weekend work clothes and pajama / lounging stuff. I did three loads of laundry yesterday and plan to knock the other three out today.

Other goals:

1) The Challenge: I've found recently that I don't do well at building new habits. I'm not really good at follow through. And that bothers me some. Sounds a lot like what I wrote back in April...but I really wanted to follow through with this challenge. Even though it was fairly trivial in the overall scheme of things - I did it. I found something I'm not overly enthused about on a regular basis (clothes / fashion) and I stuck with it because I said I was going to.

2) Wardrobe: My closet is usually about 75% work t-shirts and jeans and 25% all other occasion clothes. I was excited about this challenge because it would stretch my wardrobe, and make me realize how boring my closet is. And it did. I'm now working on weeding through the t-shirts - some I'll save for quilts, some will become work shirts and some will go to Goodwill. I've also greatly diversified both the color and style of the rest of my clothes.

3) Compliments: Now before you think: wow, really? You just wanted attention? That's not at all what I mean. This wasn't a conscious goal from the beginning, it just ended up being one of the perks I thought I'd share. I'm not known for my fashion sense - so whenever I would pick an outfit that I thought was particularly cute or would look really nice, it was always good to get some positive reinforcement that someone else agreed. Didn't always work out so well with some choices (perfect example) but every now and then I'd get a comment that just made it a little easier to put some thought into the next outfit.

Overall Success: I think so. Eye Opener: Definitely. Lasting Impact: We'll see. I know one thing for sure: I spent more money on clothes in the last two months than I have the rest of the year. I've also become much more aware of how important Kohl's and Target clearance racks are!

Put a (fashionably cute) bow on it - that's a wrap!

No comments: