Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Just Waiting - Jan 14

Baby Girl was finishing up a breathing treatment when I got here this morning. She had a good night until about 5:00 am when she got really wheezy. Her lungs were pretty tight and congested and they had to suction out a bunch of mucus. When the body produces mucus it's in an effort to get rid of something (usually an infection) - my guess in this case is the her body wants this breathing tube gone! That's what I imagine anyway, because I know I want it gone so I can hold her! They'll keep her fairly medicated until it comes out to keep her calm and comfortable but I can't imagine it helping much!

Unfortunately, since they had such a hard time intubating her, they want an ENT to do the extubation in a controlled environment (aka: OR) so he can check everything out and make sure airway and vocal chords are ok- which won't happen until Thursday. She also ended up with a collection of air in her stomach from trying to intubate so step of progress will be when she passes that. So my day consisted of holding her hand and hoping she farts. What a life.

Updates on a couple other babies I've mentioned:
Baby with heart troubles did great with her g-tube surgery and is waiting to get to go home!

Baby with brain troubles didn't do as well (they had surgery the same day). Her body is rejecting the g-tube and has gotten an infection around the site. Please continue prayers for them!

Remember way back in the beginning (3 weeks ago seems so far away!) the mom who reached out to me who has been here for 3 months? Her Baby girl had surgery yesterday too - in fact, they were the ones we were waiting on to get finished before it was our turn. She had to have the fundoplication surgery yesterday because her reflux has gotten so bad. Since that makes it harder to swallow, they also put in a g-tube so Mama C was a little discouraged because she had been eating well, but hopeful this will help her keep some of it down. I know she would appreciate prayers as well.

Looks like tomorrow will be more of the same - sitting, holding her hand, and waiting for Thursday! Hopefully they'll be able to start feeding her (by tube) in the morning.



1 comment:

BMoore...everyday said...

Such a sweet pic...holding hands with your baby girl...prayers for Lexi & her 'roomies'...and their mommies, too. ♡