Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Prayers Answered! Jan 7

Wow what a difference 20 minutes makes! When we got to the hospital the nurse said she would be going down shortly for an upper GI study this morning. Dr. G had mentioned this when we talked about the surgery so I didn't think anything about it.

About 20 minutes later the OT came by and asked if we heard the good news from yesterday - I cautiously said no and she said when she was working with Baby Girl yesterday afternoon they did the pacifier and syringe like usual to let her taste the milk, then she tried the bottle. Before, Baby Girl has only been able to get a few drops out at a time - the most she taken is 0.5 mL - yesterday she took 10 mL! Her normal feeding amount is 66 mL so this was HUGE progress! She said she was cautiously optimistic - Baby Girl started out slowly, but once she got going she did really well with the bottle! 

We had given her permission to take photos to track progress on her hands so she snapped these for us as well:


Her "I'm concentrating face" and what the OT called "passed out milk drunk". She was so tired from the effort, plus the contents of the milk have natural relaxers in it so she was out of it.

So HUGE major steps forward and prayers answered...and it's only 9:25 am.

We're waiting right now for the swallow study - that was the big change I started out talking about at the beginning (I got a little distracted). It wasn't supposed to be an upper GI test, it was a swallow study test to make sure the milk is following the correct path to her stomach.

I'm sure this afternoon's post will have the results of that but I wanted to share our good news with all of you as well!


1 comment:

BMoore...everyday said...

Milk drunk! Love it...satisfied baby girl...cant ask for more than that...sooo very thankful for the progress and excited to see Lexi Jo holding her own...you go Lexi Girl!